Wednesday 28 October 2015

Final 3D1 Assignment part 1

Back again, and now I'm going to make a short introduction of the current assignment. We are modelling characters, and I'm modelling this quirky creature created by Charlie Eliasson.

Her name is Askanderiya. A former librarian of library of Alexandria.
I'm sadly going to be brief about this too, since I finished the model a week ago or so.

This is the model so far. The model itself is finished, and I finished the UV map today. Our budget for this model was 3 000 tris (+10% due to details). Because of this I had to cut down on some of her details. She got lots of rings, bracelets and other jewelry I just couldn't include on the model. Along with that she is also missing her belt and the scrolls. I thought the kitty backpack was more important to her character and silhouette so I decided to prioritize it. But, as for the jewelry I'm going to include it as much as possible on the texture.

Coming to the texture I can tell you that I had a real fight with the UV map. Errors started to show up here and there. Planes disappearing and edges that didn't want to disappear even if they were all surrounded by planes etc. I fought with this and managed to get all the parts except the face as a finished UV. Though, the day after it hadn't seemed to be saved, plus planes had disappeared again. So I decided to solve that problem once and for all. I managed to solve this by exporting the model as an obj, import it and mend it, and then export it and import it AGAIN. Then, finally, it all acted as it should. And after a few hours, and intense manual tweaking and fiddling I created the UV. It was tedious but I kinda enjoyed it anyway oddly enough. Most of all I'm proud over that I actually managed to get all the parts so tightly together. For assignment 2 I actually forgot to think about how the parts was placed on the UV. I just let the software do it for me and didn't think much of it. This time I only used the software to give me something to begin with. Then a session of puzzle pieces meets Tetris! I might have gained a understanding why people likes Tetris. It is so satisfying when everything fits together.

 Now off to painting the texture~! Been looking forward to this since Charlie showed me Askanderiya!


No comments:

Post a Comment